Asian, North American and New Zealand
business excellence experience
James Malcolm Macpherson
BSc, Post Grad Dip Sci, PhD
More than two decades of Baldrige-related and business excellence experience, 1994-2016
Updated 04 Jan 2018
(1) I've been an assessor, regional Chairman of Assessors and National Chairman of Assessors for New Zealand's pure Baldrige Business Development Quality Award, now the Performance Excellence Study Award (PESA), spanning the history of this scheme in New Zealand, and involved in the assessment of about 50 New Zealand companies, ranging from schools and hospitals to primary and service industries, including a division of the then Bank of New Zealand.
(2) In 1998 I visited the USA on a PESA-sponsored study tour of eight US Baldrige winning organisations, and on returning to New Zealand set up www.baldrigeplus.com, then, and for a decade, recognised as one of the world's significant Baldrige-related web resources (now defunct, but with some legacy material still available).
(3) In 2000 I was contracted by Trans-Link Express, a Singapore-based exhibition freight forwarding and supply-chain company (now part of the Agility Group), to establish a group-wide excellence award based on Baldrige. I trained teams in Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand and Malaysia, and assessments were then conducted at each of those locations, with the first awards made in 2001.
(4) In the period 2001 to 2003 I was contracted on six occasions to conduct Baldrige-based work for Malaysia's Hong Leong Group, including acting as lead assessor for 14-day assessments of Hong Leong's life insurance business (HLA - Life), Hume Cemboard Industries, Hong Leong Yamaha and Dynacraft Industries.
(5) In 2004 I led an assessment team for Telkom Indonesia, under the overall leadership of Paul Steel, conducting assessments in the Bandung and Sumatra Divisions
(6) In 2005 I was back working for Trans-Link as they pursued their excellence goals, and with Hong leong as a lead assessor for the fifth time.
(7) In April 2007 I attended Baldrige Examiner Training is Washington DC
(8) In September 2007 I was a member of a second PESA Study Tour to the USA, visiting Texas Nameplate, Park Place Lexus and Richland College in Dallas, Texas; DynMcDermott in New Orleans; and a regional Baldrige conference in Seattle.
(9) In March 2008 I was invited to be a keynote speaker at the first annual conference of Indonesian State-owned Enterprises in Bali - for Forum Ekselen BUMN
(10) In 2015 and 2016 I was back briefly with Hong Leong doing some audit process design work - applying Baldrige-like diagnostic questions to non-financial performance measurement (email if interested)
(11) And in 2016 I was a member of yet another PESA Baldrige study tour to the USA, this time with an Otago Polytechnic sponsored team, with visits to Alaska and Texas, and a regional Baldrige conference in Dallas
My interests in business excellence carried over to my local government and community work:
- for the nine years I was Mayor of the Central Otago District, a 10,000 square km slice of beautiful Southern New Zealand
- I was (until December 2013) an elected member of the board of the Southern District Health Board, one of New Zealand's largest regional health services and hospital providers
- I was a member of the council (board) of Otago's regional polytechnic from 2005 till 23013
- and I'm a member of the Roxburgh Gorge Trail Charitable Trust, chairman of the Jolendale Park Charitable Trust, and member (and past chair) of the Central Lakes Trust.
An extended biography is available on request Copyright 2018